So here we go a-rollickin’ along into the Paddy’s Day weekend…but don’t go so berserk, friends, that you wind up in the paddy wagon. Celebrate smartly and safely…but celebrate nonetheless! The calendar has conspired with the universe to give us this extended joy. It’s a beautiful thing.
We’re holding a special St. Patrick’s Day weekend Kilt Night tonight. If you’re new to the Kilt Night scene here, don your kilt and join us. New participants get a free pint. Tasty!
THE SNAKES COME HOME
Some people will raise a toast at 7:30 pm tonight in memory of those lost. Itâ€™s the 9th Annual Bring Back the Snakes toast. Get yourself a pint and join â€˜em, if you wish.
OTHER THINGS THIS WEEKEND
* On Saturday, there’s the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in St. Paul. Afterwords, bring the hoolie to Merlins and tell us a tale. Between 7 and 8, we expect our good friends from Finnegan’s to be in the pub. Great craic!
* On Sunday, catch the St. Paul Irish Dancers performing at 2 pm in O’Shaughnessy Auditorium on the campus of St. Catherine’s in St. Paul. Our very own Bill Watkins will be joining them…though not in the dancing. (Merlins beard! Can you imagine the fright!?) Billy will read from his soon-to-be-published, trilogy-completing memoir The Once and Future Celt. We’re proud of Bill’s work and achievement. So get over to O’Shaughnessy, hear a portion from Bill’s book, and admire the how our good friends in the St. Paul Irish Dancers are keeping the traditional art and spirit alive. Eileen Dahill and her girls are absolute gems. Afterwards: join us for the weekly Sunday Night Pub Quiz!
* And weâ€™ve lots going on for the holiday proper. Celebrate with a special Monday brunch (8 am – 12:00 pm) with traditional Irish fare. At 11 am, weâ€™ll have a whisky toast with our â€œWhisky Wench,â€ Fiona. During the afternoon, Wild Bill Watkins, our publican John Dingley, and local Irish dance leader Eileen Dahill take over. At 4 pm, a mini ceili session will take place. From 5:00 – 6:30 pm, Misplaced will provide the sounds. From 6:45 – 7:45 pm, there will be an Open Mic Best Singer and Story Teller contest with PRIZES! From 8:00 pm – 10:00 pm (and possibly a later set), the all-girl Irish music sensation â€œGarrigans Quarrelâ€ will rule the roost. This includes from 9:00 pm to 10:00 pm the Giggin Sheilas.
As for food in the afternoon and evening, weâ€™ll serve up Irish Stew, Corned beef and Cabbage, Leak and Potato Stew, Irish Lamb, Bratwurst and more. Happy days, indeed! Join the hoolie, friends. You will not regret it!
NEWS FROM THE ISLES
* Tourism Ireland is hosting a virtual St. Patrick’s Day parade is the video world of Second Life.
* A World War II bomb that had been being used as a doorstop in Wales has been found. And for those who enjoy Welsh spelling, it was found in the town of Pontrhydfendigaid. Rolls off the tongue!
* Cornwall boasts: Cornish crabs have more backbone.
* Nanny flushers plague Scottish villages!
* And because not everything of amusement comes from the Isles, we also want to recognize Macedonia, where they’ve convicted a bear (in absentia) of theft and criminal property damage. A bear!