It’s Kilt Night, everyone, so that means–of course–kilts and live Celtic music. Join us for the hoolie and celebrate the weekend with your knees exposed! Spring is coming. No worries.
OUR SPECIALIST QUIZZES
On Sunday nights we hold our weekly and general interest Pub Quiz. It’s a grand time, loads of fun. And we’ve now added a specialist quiz for Wednesday nights. Quizzes start at 8 pm sharpish. This past week we played it with a Star Trek theme. As on Sundays, it was 25 questions, teams of up to four, and loads of fun. Everyone participating got attendance points. Those points are saved and added to your final score each week. The first person/team to get 50 points wins the prize money. John Dingley, our Welsh publican, adds up to $40 each week to the pot. So if you score 42 out of 50 and this is your 8th quiz, you win the money! It works like that.
NEXT WEEK’S THEME: The American Civil War.
What follows is this past Wednesday’s Specialist Quiz on Star Trek:
1. The book Star Trek Invasion is four stories about the Furies. Name two of the authors?
Diana Carey, Dean Wesley Smith, Kristine Katherine Rusch, L. A. Graf and Dafydd ab Hugh
2. Who was the woman that gave the go ahead for the first Star Trek to be produced and aired?
3. Star Trek: The Next Generation is set in the 24th century, roughly how many years after the original Star Trek?
4. We in Britain first saw Jeremy Kemp in a TV series Z Cars. What role did he play in a Next Generation episode?
Picardâ€™s brother Robert
5. Two UK rock bands take their name from Star Trek references, Level 42 is one what is the other?
6. In the Next Generation we find that Data held the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics Chair at Cambridge University. Who currently holds that chair?
7. What is the name of Worfâ€™s son?
8. In the TV series Star Trek NG, Commander Riker plays what musical instrument?
9. He starred in films such as The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain, The Snapper, The Road to Wellville and Kings. Who did he play in Star Trek?
10. A failure of antimatter containment is commonly referred to as a what?
Warp Core Breach
11. Which one of the following has never written a Star Trek story? Diane Carey, Dean Wesley Smith, Dafydd ab Gwilim or L. A. Graff?
Dafydd ab Gwilim
12. Kellie Waymire played Elizabeth Cutler an Entomologist in Enterprise, Strange new World. What is an Entomologist?
A studier of insects
13. Counselor Troi’s mother belittles her daughter by constantly calling her by what childhood nickname?
14. Dr. Noonien Soong is credited with creating twins What are their names?
Data and Lore
15. Who is the actor who plays Odo in DS9?
16. According to traditional Ferengi beliefs, what object represents their sexual prowess?
17. Grilka in the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episodes “The House of Quark” and “Looking for par’Mach in All the Wrong Places” is related to two US Presidents. Who is she?
Mary Kay Adams
18. What is Cpt. Jean Luc’s favorite drink?
Earl Grey (hot)
19. She was delivered by Worf in the U.S.S. Enterprise-D’s Ten-Forward lounge and later moved to Deep Space Nine with her parents. Who is she?
Molly Oâ€™Brien â€“ played by Hana Hatae and Michelle Krusiec
20. The power transfer conduits are found in the support pylons that connect the hull to these. What are they?
21. Who did John Rhys Davies play in Voyager?
Leonardo da Vinci
22. What is the name of Mr. Data’s cat?
23. This Tony award winning actress has appeared in New York musical productions. Passion. The King and I, Wonderful Town and Lovemusik. She also appeared in the Star Trek movie, Insurrection. Name this actress?
24. The Klingon Empire was founded circa 900 AD on the Klingon home world by who?
Kahless the Unforgettable â€“ played by Robert Herron and Kevin Conway
25. Who was the first man to be buried in space?
Bonus / Tiebreaker: The Star Trek noted computer voice belongs to who?