Get in your time machine, friends, and go back to last Sunday with last week’s pub quiz answers! I’ll post them in this entry in just a moment. In the meantime, here’s a TRIVIA question: Who wrote The Time Machine (first published in 1895)? The answer later.
THE BIRDS & THE BEERS
Tonight! 6:00 PM. Itâ€™s the Birds & the Beers Gathering! Sharon Stiteler (aka, the Birdchick) is calling all birders together again for pints and a meetup. If you have even a casual interest in birding, check it out. Great group. And I think itâ€™s going to be a bit more high-tech this time as Sharon has suggested sheâ€™ll bring her scope. (Scroll to the end of the entry for the Birds & Beers note, and for a nice photo from their last gathering here.)
Later on, about 9 pm, Dino and the Dinosaurs will prove that sometimes itâ€™s good to have the blues.
Over at the From a Farther Room site, at which the work of writer / photographer Michael Hartford’s work is on display, he’s posted an image from outside of Merlins Rest. Thanks, dude.
HG Wells wrote The Time Machine.
PUB QUIZ ANSWERS
Every Sunday at 8 pm our Welsh publican John Dingley holds the Merlins Rest Sunday Pub Quiz. He bellows out 25 questions and teams of up to 4 write down their answers. It’s something of a drink & think, but family friendly too. The people gather to share some smarts, have a few laughs, and all in all just ease into the week. Here are the questions and answers from February 24’s quiz:
1. Her most famous works include the novels Mrs Dalloway (1925), To the Lighthouse (1927), and Orlando (1928) Who was she?
2. Sn is the atomic symbol of what element?
3. Apart from the symbol in the middle what colors are the flag of Serbia?
Red, Blue, White
4. What animal was removed from the endangered species list this last Thursday?
5. Taekwondo is the national sport of South Korea. Tae means feet, do means path or way. What does kwan mean?
6. Initial indications reported on Thursday that the SM-3 missile hit the fuel tank as planned. What was the fuel tank on?
7. He made 260 recordings, sang at La Scala, Covent Garden and sang at New Yorkâ€™sâ€™ Metropolitan Opera for 17 years. He was born on this day in 1873. Who was he?
8. Diabetes is a disorder that affects the way your body uses food for energy. A hormone that controls the use of energy comes from what organ?
9. He ran the family farm from 1906 to 1917 and then served in France in the First World War. Following that war he opened a haberdashery. Who was he?
Harry S. Truman
10. The Stirling engine is a reciprocating piston engine. What does it run on?
11. On Feb 23 1874 – Walter Winfield patented a game called “sphairistike.” What is the game better known as?
12. The annual State of the Black Union forum is underway. Who is not attending because of presidential campaigning?
Barack Obama/John McCain
13. Name the two metals that when alloyed make up Bronze?
14. Wolves, owls, hawks, coyotes, foxes, weasels, cats and others all feed on Microtus ochrogaster. What is Microtus ochrogaster?
15. On this day in 1925 – A thermite was used for the first time. What is a thermite?
16. Japan launched a rocket Saturday carrying a satellite that will test new technology that promises to deliver what?
“super high-speed Internet”
17. Wolves are digitigrade. Which means they do what?
Walk on their toes
18. The Krebs cycle and the Beta oxidation of fatty acids generate Adenosine Triphosphate which is found throughout our cellular system and in turn generates what?
19. Which of the following is a Filipino martial art? Eskrima, Jogo do Pau, Jukendo or Gatka?
20. Who were the sons of the priestess Rhea Silvia, fathered by the god of war, Mars?
21. Brad Williams, a radio anchor in La Crosse, Wisconsin is being tested by doctors because he has an unusual ability. What is his amazing ability?
Almost perfect memory
22. Canis latrans is the scientific name of what prairie animal?
23. This element is obtained chiefly from the mineral cassiterite, where it occurs as an oxide. What is it?
24. A Spanish company is planning to take 3 square miles of desert southwest of Phoenix and turn them into what?
Solar energy production
25. On visiting her grandmothers house Red Riding Hood found that her grandmother had become a what?